After a multi-month hiatus, United Airlines has restored a number of beverage options to its cabins.
United Restores Ice, Alcohol, Coffee, Tea…On Select Flights
Effective July 3, United once again offers a number of additional beverages onboard.
- Complimentary liquor minis in premium cabins – flight attendants will place a stir stick in cold cup with ice and present a sealed liquor mini and sealed mixer to the customer.
- Ice to all customers – flight attendants will ask if you would like a cup and ice with your beverage (versus just handing you a sealed can with no option of ice or cup)
- Coffee and tea options on select flights – coffee or tea will be offered on:
- domestic flights departing before 09:45AM
- all Premium Transcontinental flights
- international flights
Here’s how United has instructed its flight attendants to serve coffee and tea safely:
- Use the safe-pour lid on coffee pots anytime they are brought into the aisle
- If customers request creamer, pour it in the hot cup first then add coffee/tea
- Place sugar, sugar substitute and stir stick, if requested, in a blue cold cup and provide to customer with their coffee, this way they can place all used items back in the cold cup for pickup
- Turn off coffee pot warmers :30 minutes prior to landing.
- Discard cooled coffee and tea in galley trash container, if coffee/tea is still hot, pour in double-bagged trash bags and discard in galley trash container.
- Do not discard coffee in lavatories (coffee pots are used on multiple segments and we don’t want pots reused after being in the lavatories)
Other changes include:
- Proactively offer sealed beverages to United First customers – flight attendant have been instructed to proactively offer United First customers sealed beverages (and coffee or tea on morning flights) throughout the flight
- Reintroduce sealed beverages in domestic United Economy served from carts in the aisle:
- Flights between one hour and 2:20 – sealed beverages (and coffee or tea on morning flights) only from carts in the aisle
- Flights 2:20 or more – offer All-in-One snack bag including water bottle with a serviette from the cart, follow with a beverage cart, offering additional sealed beverages (and coffee or tea on morning flights)
- Complimentary beer and individual bottled wine in economy cabins on international flights – all beverages will be served sealed
- Specialty teas and hot chocolate will be available in select cabins and markets:
- Green and Oolong Tea: Both cabins on select Asia markets
- Stash tea and hot chocolate: United Polaris cabin
- Return of mid-flight beverages – at the halfway point of the flight, flight attendants will offer sealed beverages from a beverage cart plus a snack, where applicable.
I cannot celebrate what never should have been taken away in the first place, but this is good news in the sense that United is starting to re-introduce beverage services removed due to COVID-19 and kept removed due to cost-cutting masquerading as hygiene theatre. Hopefully United (and Delta and Alaska and JetBlue) will next begin re-introducing meals in domestic first class.
If you are considering signing up for a new credit card please click here and help support LiveAndLetsFly.com.