EVA, the carrier that takes “Hello Kitty” to a whole new level, just encountered a “Hello Shitty” flight courtesy of a passenger who personifies the word disgusting.
In the age of misinformation, I’ve held off a couple days on addressing this story. I wanted to let the dust settle and see if there was another side to this story. Maybe, just maybe, there were missing facts that would shed a different light on the incident. Instead, corroboration demonstrates the tenacity of the narrative below…and how it is part of a larger pattern of disgusting behavior.
In case you missed earlier reports on this and because I have not written about it yet, let’s first summarize what happened. I’ve taken this account from FlyerTalk member hayzel7773:
- 2.5 hours into the flight, passenger said he needed to use the business class lavatory, claiming he could not fit into the economy class lavatory.
- The crew agreed.
- Three flight attendants plus the purser assisted him to the lavatory.
- About a minute after entering the lavatory, passenger pushed the FA call button.
- FAs opened the door, finding his genitals exposed, but his underwear still on in the back.
- Passenger warned FAs that if they did not help him remove underwear, he would go in his pants.
- As the crew removed his underwear, he spread his legs, exposing his genitals.
- FAs tried to close the door, but passenger objected, claiming shortness of breath from claustrophobia.
- Crew refused to keep the door open, but left it unlocked.
- 15 minutes later he signaled to FAs that he was finished.
- Crew opened the door and found him still seated on toilet with his pants down.
- Passenger stated, “I’m done, you can wipe my butt now.”
- FA objected.
- Passenger verbally assaulted her, saying she promised to do it.
- Threatened to remain on toilet for the remainder of the flight if his butt was not wiped.
- FAs relented, passing him a blanket to cover himself.
- He refused to cover his genitals with the blanket.
- Purser wiped while another FA watched over.
- While the purser wiped, passenger moaned, “Mmmmmm, deeper, deeper.”
- Passenger demanded the purser redo the wiping two times, saying he did not feel clean.
- After demanding a third redo, a FA just pulled up his pants.
- Passenger threatened to faint.
- FAs led passenger back to his seat.
- Later in the flight he had to defecate again; a different set of FAs ended up repeating the same process above.
- Upon disembarking the aircraft with a trio of male ground staff, passenger was asked if he needed help in restroom.
- Passenger responded that he could take care of himself.
This wasn’t the passenger’s first time on EVA.
- He flew from Los Angeles to Bangkok via Taipei in May 2018
- On that flight, he made a similar request, but FAs refused to wipe him.
- In retaliation, he went soiled his underwear in his seat.
- The whole cabin smelled terrible for the remainder of the flight.
- On another flight, he peed in his pants.
- On another flight he asked a crew member to clean and change his diaper.
- When they refused, his diaper overflowed.
- On another flight he threatened to faint and “make the crew’s life worse” if they refused to help him
- On still another flight, he spilled juice on his crotch area and demanded the crew wipe it
- The crew handed him napkins, but he replied, “You can do better.”
The EVA FAs involved in the most recent incident are so angry they have lodged the following demands via their union:
- EVA should help FAs pursue legal remedies against the passenger.
- FAs involved should be given time off.
- Blacklist the passenger.
- Make it easier to blacklist passenger.
- Improve wheelchair handling to avoid future incidents.
- Hire male FAs.
One FA shares that she “shut herself up in a toilet cubicle, vomited, and cried” as a result of the encounter.
Here’s video of the passenger leaving the aircraft:
Even if we go out of our way to give this man the benefit of the doubt, the facts point toward only one conclusion: he has a pattern of perverted behavior that manipulates vulnerable women.
That’s it. I see no other conclusion based upon the facts. He’s Andy Pipkin incarnate. (Pipkin is a fictions character in the TV series Little Britain who feigns being handicapped in order to work the system). See below for proof and the uncanny resemblance:
I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on Taiwanese culture, but initial efforts by EVA to BLAME FLIGHT ATTENDANTS for agreeing to wipe this man’s butt in the first place are not convincing. My own flights on EVA and time in Taiwan reveal a service-oriented work culture that frowns upon not honoring customer requests.
Yes, earlier incidents showed that FAs need not give in. Even so, the story placed the FAs in a very difficult, if not impossible, situation. Blaming the FAs for what happened is like blaming abuse victims for inviting abuse on themselves. Furthermore, some FAs have suggested that EVA issued a warning to FAs after they refused to wipe this man’s butt on a flight to Taipei last year.
But EVA makes clear on its website and FA manual that flight attendants will not help a passenger inside the lavatory. If this passenger was really in need of assistance, he should have brought an aide along with him.
Let’s be discerning. Look at the man’s past practice. Look at the words he used. And look at his refusal to accept help from males once on the ground. He may well be a mentally sick man, but his behavior cannot be excused and EVA should never subject FAs to this passenger again. He needs help, not more flights. I hope he is blacklisted.
What do you think?
image: Taiwan English News