Avelo Airlines is adding four flights to Hollywood Burbank Airport as it seeks to find its niche in an ultra-competitive landscape.
Avelo Airlines Is Based In Burbank (BUR)
In April, Avelo launched with service from Burbank to the following cities:
- Arcata – Eureka, CA (ACV)
- Bozeman Yellowstone, MT (BZN)
- Eugene, OR (EUG)
- Grand Junction, CO (GJT)
- Medford – Rogue Valley, OR (MFR)
- Ogden – St. Lake City, UT (OGD)
- Pasco Tri-Cities, WA (PSC)
- Phoenix-Mesa, AZ (AZA)
- Redding, CA (RDD)
- Redmond – Bend, OR (RDM)
- Santa Rosa – Sonoma, CA (STS)
Just months later, the carrier is cutting two routes with a third potentially on the chopping block:
- Grand Junction (GJT) – ends on August 16, 2021
- Bozeman (BZN) – ends on September 15, 2021
Phoenix/Mesa (AZA) also drops off the schedule after September 15th, though Avelo suggests it will continue to serve this market.
Avelo Is Launching Four New Burbank Flights
Now Avelo is launching service from Burbank to four new cities:
- Fort Collins, CO (FNL) – 2x weekly starting October 6, 2021
- Monterey, CA (MRY) – 2x weekly starting September 30, 2021
- Provo, UT (PVU) – 2x weekly starting September 17, 2021
- St. George, UT (SGU) – 2x weekly starting September 17, 2021
While Burbank – Monterey is served by JetSuiteX, Avelo will not have direct competition on the three other routes. In fact, Avelo will be the only airline offering commercial service to Fort Collins. Avelo will compete with Allegiant in Provo, though not on the BUR-PVU route and will face competition from American, United, and Delta at St. George, though not between any Southern California airport and SGU.
The new flights are already bookable online at Avelo’s website.
I support the concept of Avelo and though I remain skeptical there is sufficient demand to justify its leisure route network, I know the business model can sustain low fares and am hopeful that these new routes will stimulate demand. The thought of heading to Utah, Colorado, or Monterey for under $100 round-trip is quite appealing.
As Avelo prepares to open its east coast hub in New Haven, it is expanding in Burbank once again. The new routes maintain Avelo’s leisure focus and indicate a strategy of trying to find where the consumer demand is while also stimulating it directly with low fares. Fares start at $49 each way.
> Read More On Avelo Airlines:
- Avelo 737-800 Inaugural Flight Report
- What Food & Drinks Does Avelo Airlines Serve Onboard?
- Avelo Airlines 737-800 Burbank – Santa Rosa – Burbank Review
- Avelo Airlines Announces “Ivy League” Expansion In New Haven
(H/T: One Mile At A Time)