A Transportation Security Administration (TSA) baggage screener made an unexpected discovery while x-raying a bag. Something was moving inside. Something furry. A cat…
Cat Slips Into Checked Bag, Tries To Escape New York Winter For Florida, But Caught By TSA At JFK
Seeing the outline of a feline on the x-ray screen must have been jolting for the TSA agent:
- The orange cat was discovered Tuesday morning at New York Kennedy (JFK) by a TSA baggage screener
- First, the agent spotted some orange hair poking out of the zipper of the suitcase
- Rather than pull the animal out, he ran the bag through the x-ray machine
- After the cat was discovered, the bag was very carefully opened
- The cat popped out unharmed and seemed calm
- The passenger was tracked down, admitted the cat was from the house he was staying at, but was adamant he did not pack the cat
- TSA reached out to the owner alerted her to the location of the cat, and asked if she wanted to press charges
- She declined, stating that her cat loves to climb into boxes, and came to pick up “Smells” at JFK
- She later reported that the cat was totally unfazed by the incident
Of course, the TSA could not resist its painful puns when sharing about this incident:
We’re letting the cat out of the bag on a hiss-toric find. This CATch had our baggage screening officers @JFKairport saying, “Come on meow”! Feline like you have travel questions reach out to our furiends @AskTSA. They’re available every day, from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. (ET). pic.twitter.com/LpIkLbAgzC
— TSA (@TSA) November 22, 2022
I keep thinking about this line from The Cat In The Hat by Dr. Seuss:
and then something went BUMP!
how that bump made us jump!
then we saw him step in on the mat!
and we saw him!
the cat in the hat!
and he said to us,
‘why do you sit there like that?’
‘i know it is wet
and the sun is not sunny.
but we can have
lots of good fun that is funny!’
Glad the cat is okay…
Someone let the cat out of the bag!! Literally.
As a certified Crazy Cat Guy, I’m frankly shocked this doesn’t happen more often. We’ve had several close calls over the years with cats claiming suitcases as sleeping spots, sneaking into the car trunk while loading, etc.
If you fly out of JFK frequently, you’ll see a lot of interesting things in carry-ons while going through TSA. I was once flying AF’s LP and while jumping the TSA line, there was a person who had filled his carry on with cheesecake and the TSA officers and everyone around were just laughing and let him through.
On the opposite spectrum, a few weeks ago, they busted a person trying to smuggle ecstasy pills before my LX flight to GVA in F. Point is, NYC is full of interesting personas.
The ad for the post on Salmon following the post on the cat is just fab-u-lous.
Geez, who’d a thought there’s enough room for a live cat where there’s not even enough room to swing a dead cat?
Poor CAT. Animal cruelty! PETA should get involved: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
Looks like the cat’s welfare was considered in this case. Let PETA tackle bigger priorities.