A Transportation Security Administration (TSA) baggage screener made an unexpected discovery while x-raying a bag. Something was moving inside. Something furry. A cat…
Cat Slips Into Checked Bag, Tries To Escape New York Winter For Florida, But Caught By TSA At JFK
Seeing the outline of a feline on the x-ray screen must have been jolting for the TSA agent:
- The orange cat was discovered Tuesday morning at New York Kennedy (JFK) by a TSA baggage screener
- First, the agent spotted some orange hair poking out of the zipper of the suitcase
- Rather than pull the animal out, he ran the bag through the x-ray machine
- After the cat was discovered, the bag was very carefully opened
- The cat popped out unharmed and seemed calm
- The passenger was tracked down, admitted the cat was from the house he was staying at, but was adamant he did not pack the cat
- TSA reached out to the owner alerted her to the location of the cat, and asked if she wanted to press charges
- She declined, stating that her cat loves to climb into boxes, and came to pick up “Smells” at JFK
- She later reported that the cat was totally unfazed by the incident
Of course, the TSA could not resist its painful puns when sharing about this incident:
We’re letting the cat out of the bag on a hiss-toric find. This CATch had our baggage screening officers @JFKairport saying, “Come on meow”! Feline like you have travel questions reach out to our furiends @AskTSA. They’re available every day, from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. (ET). pic.twitter.com/LpIkLbAgzC
— TSA (@TSA) November 22, 2022
I keep thinking about this line from The Cat In The Hat by Dr. Seuss:
and then something went BUMP!
how that bump made us jump!
then we saw him step in on the mat!
and we saw him!
the cat in the hat!
and he said to us,
‘why do you sit there like that?’
‘i know it is wet
and the sun is not sunny.
but we can have
lots of good fun that is funny!’
Glad the cat is okay…