After a 20 month hiatus, United Airlines will restore pre-departure beverages in premium cabins on its mainline flights later this month and restore glassware and ceramic cups onboard starting next month.
United Airlines Will Restore Pre-Departure Beverages On Mainline Flights In Premium Cabins
Starting on November 23rd, United Airlines will restore “pre-departure welcome beverages” onboard all mainline flights. For now, the selection will be pre-poured and limited to water or sparkling wine.
While it will not hurt to make special requests, there is not intended to be an open bar on the ground…at least for now.
Glassware Returns On United Airlines
It was just yesterday that I wrote how long overdue the return to glassware was on United. As if in direct response to my story (I don’t flatter myself – I’m sure this was long-planned and my timing happened to be right), United will restore glassware on December 1, 2021.
That includes ceramic cups for coffee/tea and the following types of glasses:
Domestic First Class:
- Highball glasses
- Wine glasses
United Polaris Business:
- Rock glasses
- Wine glasses
- Flute glasses
- Cordial glasses
- Polycarbonate glasses
- This is a glass that looks like a rock glass but is used on international flights for pre-departure beverages only
Why It Matters
Rather than rehash what I wrote about yesterday, I will only note five reasons why it actually matters that glassware and pre-departure beverages have retuned:
- It actually makes the premium cabin experience more premium – nothing screams cheap like a nice plated meal served with a disposable cups
- Coffee tastes better in a ceramic cup and wine in a glass
- I’m less worried about tipping over “real” cups and glasses, which are far less flimsy than the blue plastic cups currently in use
- Other airlines have restored glassware
- Even with washing and transport costs, there is less waste than using single-use plastic or paper cups
Bottom line, it just makes for a nicer experience overall.
Pre-departure beverages will return next week on United Airlines in premium cabins and glassware returns next month. These moves are long overdue, but welcomed.