United Airlines is adding what it labels as an “Earner Starter PQP” deposit to MileagePlus accounts this morning, giving members a jump start on earning elite status for 2023.
United Airlines “Earner Starter PQP” Hits MileagePlus Elite Accounts
It isn’t clear if this is targeted or everyone received (or will shortly) receive a deposit, but from what I can tell based upon reader comments and this thread on Flyertalk:
- Global Services
- 3000 PQP
- 2250 PQP (for those granted an extension)
- 3000 PQP (for those who qualified outright in 2021)
- 2000 PQP (for those granted an extension)
- 2250 PQP (for those who qualified outright in 2021)
- 1500 PQP
- 700 PQP
PQPs, short for premier qualifying points, are United’s equivalent of dollars spent on travel. The 2023 elite qualification requirements remain unchanged:
- Premier Silver
- 8 PQF + 3,000 PQP or 3,500 PQP
- Premier Gold
- 16 PQF + 6,000 PQP or 7,000 PQP
- Premier Platinum
- 24 PQF + 9,000 PQP or 10,000 PQP
- Premier 1K
- 36 PQF + 13,500 PQP or 15,000 PQP
(PQFs are premier qualifying flights, also known as segments)
I received 3,000 PQPs this morning, which makes sense because I flew enough to re-qualify for 1K status (with the quarterly bonus promotions) last year:
I reached out to United for comment and was informed this was a special promotion geared toward Valentine’s Day:
United is showing love to its most loyal customers just in time for Valentine’s Day.
Tomorrow, United will notify MileagePlus Premier members of a surprise deposit of extra Premier Qualifying Points (PQP) to their accounts to help jump start earning towards their 2023 Premier status goals. Since United extended the lowered Premier qualification thresholds offered at all levels last year, the personalized deposit gifts members 15% -20% of what they need to requalify for status through 2023.
Premier members’ deposit amounts will vary depending on:
- The Premier status level reached at the end of 2021
- Whether Premier status was earned or extended
- Members who earned status, by either meeting the annual requirements or completing the Fly to the Finish challenge, will receive higher PQP deposit amounts
This deposit fulfills United’s commitment that it would help members qualify for elite status again. Even with the omicron wave fading, strict corporate travel polices remain in place and United has all but ceded travel to Asia until later in the year.
United Airlines is adding “earner starter” PQPs to MileagePlus accounts, recognizing that the travel year is starting slow for many (myself included).
Did you receive bonus PQPs this morning?