I flew home from Bangkok in Singapore Airlines business class, including a 15-hour longhaul flight from Singapore to Los Angeles. The flight was wonderful.
15-Hour Longhaul Flight In Singapore Airlines Business Class – The Time Just Flew By
I chose Singapore Airlines because I wanted to give the carrier another shot. While Singapore is often rated the best airline in the world, I had a bad flight on the same route in 2013…then operated by a four-engine Airbus A340-500. This was an opportunity to give SIA another chance on one of the longest flights in the world.
I used KrisFlyer miles to book the ticket (95,000 from Bangkok – Singapore – Los Angeles) and reserved my ticket just in time to “book the cook” prior to my departure, Singapore’s pre-order meal program.
While I wish I could tell you about the current lounge situation at Changi, I was instead herded into a faraway gate area during my layover.
But onboard, it would be business as usual. The purser greeted me at the door and told one of his colleagues to walk me to my seat. This was my first trip on a Singapore Airlines A350-900. Both segments were operated by the same aircraft type, which includes a mix of economy, premium economy, and business class seats. Although Singapore has an ultra-longhaul version of this aircraft with an extended business and premium economy class and no economy class, it was not used on my flight to Los Angeles.
A lot of people complain about this business class seat, calling it hard and uncomfortable in the upright position (it does recline a bit). Rather than recline into a bed, it flips over, which is unique to Singapore Airlines. I found it very comfortable and had a superb rest for over eight hours.
A few words about the flight:
- The crew was lovely, friendly, attentive, and kind – what a difference a crew makes
- I loved the food onboard
- For dinner after takeoff I had an Indian-style braised lamb shank, which was delicious
- Midway through the flight, I ordered breakfast – a frittata
- Prior to arrival in Los Angeles, I had steak, which was cooked medium well but still tasty
- Coffee was tremendous onboard
- There is no COVID-theatre going on – the full menu was available and served on proper dishes with proper glasses and silverware
- The IFE library is so great – I love finding not just 1-2, but dozens of interesting movies to watch, many I had never heard of
- Wi-Fi was fast and each business class passenger received a 100MB voucher, which actually lasted me for most of the flight once I put my phone in low-data mode
When I publish my full review I’ll share a lot more details about the aircraft, seat, bedding, amenity kit, IFE, meals, and more. But in this “first impressions” post I want to note how pleased I was to fly Singapore Airlines once again and how one of the longest flight in the world flew by very quickly.