As United Airlines works to improve customer feedback scores, it is reminding flight attendants that personal touches make a world of difference in shaping passenger impressions onboard.
United Airlines Asks Flight Attendants To Engage In Meaningful Conversations, Create Special Moments Onboard
A memo to flight attendants reviewed by Live and Let’s Fly suggests the following:
As a flight attendant, you shape our customers’ travel experience onboard, whether it’s through meaningful conversations, mentioning customers’ names and offering thanks, or even by recognizing special occasions through the use of our Customer Recognition Cards. Each and every one of you makes a lasting impact on our customer’s experience.
It’s always important no matter the flight to make the most of the day-to-day moments. Always remember to:
- Recognize MileagePlus status: You can do this by recognizing specifics such as: “Thank you for being a GS Mr. Smith, we appreciate your loyalty to United.”
- Being Proactive vs reactive when recognizing our customers: Knowing where they are seated and offering them a heightened onboard experience by using their name or offering them the appropriate 1K/GS products in economy can assist with this.
- Celebrate milestones and special occasions: Check the My Flight app for specific milestones/special occasions to brighten our customer’s onboard experience.
- Utilize the Customer Recognition Cards: These can be used to recognize our customers’ status, special occasions, and much more.
- Create special moments for our customers on every flight every day!
A separate memo reminds flight attendants that a great flight starts with a great welcome:
“One way you can continue to enhance our customers’ boarding experience is by welcoming each customer onboard the aircraft with a smile and warm welcome!”
As a personal observation, the Apple iPhones flight attendants are issued includes relevant information like a passenger’s status or birthday and flight attendants have consistently thanked me for my 1K and MillionMile status on a handful of recent flights.
More than just being ego-stoking, such simple reflections of thanks genuinely make passengers feel more valued and create loyalty to the brand.
One area for improvement is that I would like to see flight attendants more proactively offer 1K benefits (a complimentary food item and drink) when these MileagePlus members are seated behind the curtain.
United Airlines has reminded flight attendants to continue to proactively improve the passenger experience, particularly by recognizing MileagePlus status and special days or milestones. Generally speaking, I have already witnessed tremendous improvement in this area in 2022. As United continues to grow, such low-hanging-fruit as a warm smile or genuine greeting can make a world of difference onboard.