A man who groped two women on a JetBlue flight, including one who was holding an infant, has been spared jail time and sentenced to one year of probation for his poor behavior onboard.
Twice As Nice: Man Who Groped Two Woman On JetBlue Flight Spared Jail Time
The incident occurred on a May 31, 2022 JetBlue redeye flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Boston (BOS).
- 43-year-old Jairaj Singh Dhillon was seated in row 22 in a window seat
- The first incident occurred just 30 minutes into the flight, when Dhillon reached over and “caressed” the woman seated in the middle seat next to him “on her thigh and in her groin area”
- This woman was holding a lap infant…
- She cried out, “This man just groped me!” and swatted his hand away, then jumped out to the aisle
- This caused an unrelated woman seated on the aisle to also jump out into the aisle
- Dhillon then grabbed the groin and butt of the second woman while she was standing in the aisle
- Dhillon was moved to a different part of the aircraft and arrested upon arrival in Boston
In his defense, Dhillon claimed that he would not have assaulted the first victim “because he wasn’t physically attracted to her.” He later claimed that he had taken an Ambien while boarding, which messed up his ability to think clearly.
He faced up to three years in prison, but worked out a plea deal with prosecutors and will not face jail time. As part of his probation deal, he will have to spend the first six months under home confinement.
A man who groped two women on a JetBlue redeye flight will not serve time in jail, though as part of his probation will be under house arrest and wear an ankle monitoring bracelet.
Is this justice? It seems like such a light sentence, even if the Ambien impaired his judgment. His legal trouble may not be over, though.
I hope that the two woman file hefty civil suits against him for his groping.