An argument between husband and wife that turned violent onboard a Lufthansa A380 forced an emergency diversion to ditch the husband. Now the man faces a lifetime Lufthansa ban and a hefty bill for his lack of self-control.
Lufthansa A380 Bound For Bangkok Diverts To India After Husband Turns Violent In Fight With Wife
It is said that arguments in a relationship can foster a place of deeper understanding, greater trust, and a more authentic connection. 10 years into marriage, I can attest to that. But there is a time and place for such discussion and it is never okay when talk becomes violent…especially on an airplane.
Here’s what we know about what happened:
- A couple was traveling on LH772 from Munich (MUC) to Bangkok (BKK) on a Lufthansa A380-800
- Per Bild (Germany’s national tabloid newspaper equivalent to the UK Daily Mail), the man was “German” and his wife was “Thai”
- For reasons that remain unclear, the two got into a nasty argument about three hours into the flight
- The argument became so heated that the wife told a flight attendant that she felt “threatened” by being near her husband
- When flight attendants attempted to mediate, the husband freaked out and then:
- Threw food in the cabin
- Attempted to light a blanket with a cigarette lighter
- Undressed in the cabin
- Smashed his mobile phone
- Threatened the cabin, stating, “I’ll kill you all!”
- The captain requested an immediate diversion in Pakistan, which was denied
- A diversion to Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) in New Delhi was approved
- All monitors were shut off and no announcements were made, so that the problematic passenger did not know where the flight was diverting.
- On the ground in Delhi, an announcement was made that it was “forbidden to make films or photograph” before six soldiers came onboard and escorted the husband off
- The wife remained onboard
- The flight took off again, landing in Bangkok only two hours late.
At this point, it is unclear what will happen to the man in terms of legal consequences, though Lufthansa has already given him a lifetime flight ban. Per a spokesperson:
“The person in question was handed over to the authorities. The passenger has been banned from traveling on Lufthansa Group flights with immediate effect.”
I suspect alcohol was involved and he will a slap on the wrist and deputation back to Germany…but I bet his wife isn’t coming back to Germany, at least to him.
While arguments can show that a relationship is still alive, when they turn violent or even heated they expose a much deeper problem. The fact that a fight turned violent onboard a packed aircraft on an intercontinental flight and the specific antics of the husband make me fear for the safety of the wife.
On a legal note, I hope now that Lufthansa will send the man a bill and sue him if he refuses to pay. This sort of behavior was totally ancestry and even though the flight was impressively only two hours late into Bangkok, the fuel costs and extra labor costs for the crew should be paid back to Lufthansa.