This week we are taking a walk down memory lane with a vintage first class trip report. I’m sharing photos and brief commentary from a trip I took in the final days of 2010 and first days of 2011 that included many first class flights from five Star Alliance carriers. As we enter a new decade, the goal of this trip report is to examine how airlines have changed over the last one. Although this trip report has never been published, I will not be publishing a detailed, word-heavy review as I do for current trip reports. Instead, commentary will be limited and the focus will be on photos. For the final post, I will summarize, as generally as I can, how premium products have changed over the last decade.
- Prior Segments
Flight #2: Lufthansa A340-300 First Class Chicago To Munich
- Before the flight, we spent a couple hours in the old International First Class Lounge, where the Polaris Lounge now sits in the C Concourse.
- The lounge may look so dated now to most) but I think there was a certain timeless charm to it.
- The buffet and self-serve alcohol selection was way better than the Red Carpet Club (United Club) especially during that period, but still a far cry, it seems to me, from what is available in the Polaris Lounge.
- I did not eat, in anticipation of dinner onboard.
- While no escort onto the plane, there was a roped off area at the gate for first class passengers.
- Upon boarding, my brother and I were delighted to discover we had the entire cabin to ourselves!
- While the old seats look dated, they were quite comfortable in the lie-flat mode.
- The Munich-based crew was very gracious and took great care of us.
- Meal service began quickly after takeoff and although I indulged in the full service (at 10pm), it went quickly.
- Food was excellent onboard, including caviar, garlic bread, appetizers, salad, a tremendous steak (my brother had chicken), cheese, and dessert.
- I quickly fell asleep and awakened for breakfast about an hour out of Munich.
- The omelet was only so-so: no fresh scrambled eggs like on other routes.
- I distinctly remembering a special Lufthansa-made Christmas CD from the audio selection that included Christmas songs from around the world. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of it?
- Upon landing in Munich, we headed for the first class lounge: we had a long layover ahead of us.