United Airlines has officially launched “Polaris 2.0” with a focus on the sleep experience both on the ground and on the air and a new partnership with Therabody.
Polaris 2.0 Launches With New Bedding Amenities, Therabody Partnership
There is no new seat…yet. The meals are not changing…yet. But United is updating its bedding for the first time since Polaris launched in late 2016 and also introducing new amenities both in the air and on the ground with the express goal of helping you maximize your rest onboard.
Live And Let’s Fly was first to report on these changes, dubbed internally as Polaris 2.0, but now they have been officially revealed.
New Saks Fifth Avenue Bedding With Limited Edition Day Blanket
United introduced its Polaris product in late 2016 with bedding in partnership with Saks Fifth Avenue which quickly became known as one of the best business class bedding in the sky. Seven years later, United is moving to the next generation of bedding, which focuses on the Zeitgeist of sustainability, but thankfully maintains the same comfort (if not improves upon it).
The new bedding still includes a large pillow, duvet, and cool gel pillow. United tells me the cooling gel pillow is better than before, with cooling on both sides. The duvet is now an off-white color (and made in part using recycled plastic bottles) and now has a different texture on one side than the other, but still is quite comfortable (I did have a chance to try it on a flight this week). Bedding now comes in a reusable washable bag rather than in disposable plastic wrap.
Mattress pads, also made of plastic, will still be available:
Another cool temporary item is a limited-edition day blanket featuring a pattern by fashion designer Claude Kameni and also made from 100% recycled plastic (can someone explain the science to me?). Kameni is a self-taught, Cameroon-native designer who won a competition to design the new United Airlines – Saks Fifth Avenue day blanket, as part of Saks’ designer accelerator program, The New Wave. The limited-edition blanket will be available through early 2024… and likely pilfered often. I tried this too and it is extremely comfortable and a tremendous improvement over the old rather scratchy day blankets from Saks Fifth Avenue. While I did not swipe one, this is the sort of blanket I would curl around me on a cold morning at home.
United Moves Away From Sunday Riley + Away For New Partnership With Therabody
United’s Therabody collaboration includes wellness products on both the ground–in United Polaris lounges–and onboard United Polaris business class
A new amenity kit, which also doubles as a fanny pack (which apparently are making a return…) features TheraFace skincare products that are designed to help passengers feel refreshed upon landing. Contents of the reusable “belt bag” made with recycled plastic include:
- TheraFace eye serum: Crafted with ingredients like niacinamide, caffeine, hyaluronic acid, Vitamin B5 and allantoin, the serum helps reduce puffiness, enhance hydration, soothe the delicate eye area and improve the skin’s barrier function.
- TheraFace face spray: Formulated to help soothe, hydrate and protect the skin, this spray features hyaluronic acid, Vitamin B5, calendula flower extract, aloe leaf juice and glycerin.
- TheraFace cleansing towelette: Wipe-off the travel day without drying the skin thanks to ingredients like Vitamin B5 and E, calendula flower extract, aloe leaf juice and glycerin.
- TheraFace hand cream: Avoid dreaded dry hands thanks to ingredients like niacinamide, shea butter, hyaluronic acid, sweet almond oil and Vitamin B5. Both the hand cream and face spray are available in the onboard lavatories as well.
- Other items: The kit also includes go-to amenities for arriving refreshed, including a bamboo toothbrush, toothpaste, eye mask, ear plugs, socks, and a pen.
Passengers in all cabins can also access free wellness videos onboard from Therabody’s team of experts. The videos are tailored for passengers “looking to incorporate simple, effective wellness practices into their trip, like movement, breathwork and guided meditations that support relaxation and sleep.”
Therabody On Ground
United is also partnering with Therabody in its Polaris lounges by introducing a Therabody “Reset Suite” in each lounge. By the end of the year, every lounge will offer at least one semi-private room each outfitted with Therabody wellness technology, including one Therabody Lounger, which combines sound and vibration therapy for full body relaxation (think massage chair).
Additional amenities available through lounge valets include:
- RecoveryAir JetBoots (to support circulation, lymphatic drainage and muscle recovery and aid in decreased swelling and stiffness)
Have you ever tried these? They are not gimmicky at all…they are certainly a bit bougie, but actually are quite helpful.
These amenities will first appear in the Newark and San Francisco Polaris Lounges starting this month and thereafter be available in all Polaris Lounges.
Additionally, TheraFace skin and body care products are also available in the United Polaris lounge restrooms and showers.
Polaris 2.0 might be anti-climatic in the sense that we mostly knew what was coming, but I am thankful to offer a first-hand report that the duvet and pillows remain superb and the current day blanket is better than ever.