Delta is investing nearly $2BN to modernize Terminals 2 and 3 at LAX. Yesterday, the project moved one step closer to completion.
I’ve written about Delta’s investment at LAX before, but yesterday Delta CEO Ed Bastian, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, and various members of the Los Angeles airport authority and LA City Council held a press conference to formally kick-off the construction phase of the project.
Delta moved into Terminals 2 and 3 last year, but will now finally start the serious renovation.
Delta also released several new renderings of the project:
The LAX project will include:
- A 27-gate complex on Terminals 2 and 3 with a secure connection to Terminal B [Tom Bradley International Terminal]
- Brand new headhouse with centralized lobby, security screening checkpoint, and baggage claim
- Completely reconstructed Terminal 3
- A convenient bridge connecting Terminals 2, 3, and B on the secure side of the airport, as well as a dedicated baggage recheck and security checkpoint for seamless connection of international to domestic transfers, enabling significantly faster connections
- Premium retail and dining lineup
- Convenient and contemporary restroom facilities
- More access to power in the gate areas
- Modern and intuitive signage
- State-of-the-art finishes
- Emergency power generators for better operational recovery
- Connection to the automated people mover, which is expected to be fully operational in 2023
- Airfield efficiency including dual taxi lanes
With The Bradley Terminal connection, I can see all the SkyTeam passengers streaming over to the Delta Sky Club, leaving the far inferior Korean Air KAL Lounge at LAX . Eventually a secure connector between Terminal 1 and 2 will also be added, completing the ability to travel between terminals at LAX without clearing security (warning: it will be a long walk from Terminal 1 to Terminal 8).
When we cut through the PR spin, the fact remains Delta is investing a significant amount at LAX. These investments will further improve the passenger experience of everyone, not just Delta flyers.