Welcome to my next trip report, which will recount my journey to the magical Faroe Islands, a part of the world so beautiful and distinct from anywhere I have ever been.
Faroe Islands Trip Report
Traveling to the Faroe Islands has been high on my bucket list for several years. A few months ago, I finally decided to make the journey. Autumn may not be the ideal time to visit the Faroe Islands in terms of peak greenery and daylight hours, but the weather was very tolerable and there were very few tourists (which truly added to the charm).
My original plans was to fly SAS in both directions, taking the A350 from Los Angeles and returning on the A321 to Newark, but award space never ended up opening on the A350 so I flew to Zurich via Boston, then spent a couple nights in Zurich, which will be a trip report within this trip report. Every time I visit Zurich I love the city more and I enjoyed a lovely weekend there.
On the Faroe Islands I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, which was easily the best Garden Inn I’ve ever stayed at. A car rental is a must when visiting the Faroe Islands and I will outline that rather unique process.
Here’s what to expect in terms of installments:
- Virgin Atlantic Lounge Boston (BOS)
- Lufthansa Lounge Boston (BOS)
- United Club Boston (BOS)
- SWISS A330-300 Business Class Boston – Zurich
- Hyatt Regency Zurich Airport
- The Best Cocktails Bars In Zurich
- A Lovely Sunday In Zurich
- Great Coffee In Zurich
- Photo Essay: Kunsthaus Zurich
- Amazing Fondue Dinner In Zurich
- Swiss Humor: Rail Station Vending Machines
- SWISS Alpine Lounge
- SWISS A320neo Business Class Zurich – Copenhagen
- SAS Lounge Copenhagen
- SAS A320 Plus Copenhagen – Faroe Islands
- The Most Beautiful Flight Of My Life
- Renting A Car On The Faroe Islands
- Hilton Garden Inn Faroe Islands
- Great Coffee On The Faroe Islands
- The Tarv, Faroe Islands (Restaurant Review)
- Photo Essay: The Magnificent Faroe Islands
- Driving On The Faroe Islands
- Aarstova, Faroe Islands (Restaurant Review)
- Vágar Floghavn: Faroe Islands Airport
- SAS A320 Plus Faroe Islands – Copenhagen
- SAS A321LR Business Class Copenhagen – Newark
- Marriott Newark Airport
With Atlantic Airways just announcing seasonal nonstop service to New York starting this summer, the timing is right for this report and I can tell you now: the Faroe Islands are worth the long trip.
We stopped in iceland as a family for a few days on the way to Europe last summer. Looks a little similar. Great way to break up the trip. Would be interesting if Faroe Islands (the Faroe Islands?) could achieve a similar role
It won’t be able to do so successfully. IcelandAir would squeeze it on one side; and on the other side, the Danish government probably doesn’t want to ramp up a lot more state sponsorship to Atlantic Airways when they are already very heavily invested into SAS. So the suggested growth would start off being heavily squeezed from both sides economically, and that is on top of all the other constraints applicable to operating on the Faroe Islands.
Can’t wait to read how many recipes of Puffins you tried.
I was traveling with a vegetarian. No whale either.
I think that’s the same fondue place I went to recently – will wait for the report and see. It was outstanding, so wouldn’t be surprised.
This looks exciting. A question I’ve always pondered… How do you pronounce Faroe? Saying “fay-row” just seems wrong to me, as in, way over anglicized. In Danish and Faroese the last vowel certainly isn’t silent, but saying “fah-row-eh” doesn’t sound nice when speaking English.
It’s a good question. I call it the “Fair-oh” islands.
Can someone clarify it?