I’m rolling back the clock to cover my family vacation in Europe (primarily Germany) last summer, in hopes that it may give you some inspiration as you plan out your summer or autumn trip this year.
Summer Vacation In Europe – Trip Report
You might recall this trip got off to a horrible start when an infant ticket snafu caused us to miss our flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco. My wife and kids made it on the next flight, but I got caught for several hours in LAX. Once I finally made it to SFO, we had our little lounge incident (which United later apologized for) before our trip to Zurich on SWISS.
But that was soon all behind us as we settled into five glorious weeks in Europe, including about a month in Germany with a quick trip to Paris with my wife, a trip home for me for a couple days, and then our final week on the Spanish island of Las Palmas.
This is going to be a massive trip report that I’ll gradually work though over the next month or so. It will be a bit unconventional in that I will focus on our destinations more than usual, but there will still be a number of flight and hotel reviews.
- SWISS 777-300ER Economy Class San Francisco – Zurich
- Hyatt Regency Zurich Airport
- Picking Strawberries In Germany
- Summering In Germany – Daily Life
- The Enchantment of Ludwigsburg, Germany
- Denied An Avis Car Rental In Germany By Provincial Clerk
- The Beauty Of Blaubeuren, Germany
- Great Coffee In Blaubeuren, Germany
- Great Coffee in Ulm, Germany
- Photo Essay: Ulm Minster
- The Utter Pain Of Visiting Dachau Concentration Camp
- Photo Essay: Dachau Concentration Camp
- Review: Andaz Munich (Residence Suite)
- The Lovely Lilian At Andaz Munich
- Blissful Ludwigshafen, Germany
- My 48-Hour Trip From Germany To LA To Get A Passport
- Haunting: Police Chase In Frankfurt Leads To Horrific Crash
- Lufthansa Senator Lounge Frankfurt
- Lufthansa Business Lounge Frankfurt
- Flaunting Woman Struts Up and Down The Aisle On My Austrian Flight
- Review: Andaz Vienna (Suite)
- Austrian Business Lounge Review (Schengen)
- Austrian 777-200 Business Class Vienna – Chicago
- The Delightful Coffee Of Austrian Airlines
- Yankee Pier SFO Update
- Great Coffee SFO Update
- How I Returned To Germany Lickety Split
- Air France Embraer 170 Basel – Paris
- Date Night In Paris
- Review: Park Hyatt Paris (Suite)
- Photo Essay: The Louvre, Paris
- Review: EasyJet Basel – Las Palmas
- A Week On Gran Canaria Island
- Great Coffee In Las Palmas
- Aquarium Las Palmas
- Photo Essay: Las Palmas
- Goat And Other Delicacies For My Birthday
- Iberia A321 Business Class Las Palmas – Madrid
- Iberia Lounge Madrid
- British Airways A319 Business Class Madrid – London
- British Airways Terraces Lounge (T5) London
- British Airways 777-300ER Business Class London – Los Angeles
There will be some light-hearted posts and there will be some extremely weighty points, particularly concerning my visit to Dachau. We cannot ignore the history clearly documented before our eyes and concurrently hope to avoid repeating it.
Even thinking back to this trip makes my heart grow fond for the Germanic world. I love Switzerland, Austria, and Germany and miss it tremendously, even as I do love living in Los Angeles.
Welcome aboard and stay tuned for my next trip report.