Good day from Hong Kong! I’ve made it to HKG after a 15-hour flight from San Francisco on United’s new 777-3ooER in Polaris Business Class.
The flight was good, for me at least. My friend John got sick just like I did on the Singapore flight. Hopefully he will recover quickly and I won’t experience Round 2…
Our flight from Burbank was delayed by nearly two hours. By the time we arrived in SFO, UA869 to Hong Kong was already boarding. That meant no unobstructed cabins shots, but I still managed a few decent shots.
I’ll mention these highlights about United’s new Polaris Class and my flight:
- I had a “true” window seat (17L) and enjoyed the privacy of the Polaris seat
- The seat does feel a little tight in upright mode, but very comfortable in lie-flat mode
- Hong Kong-based FAs were excellent
- One volunteered to make my bed without me even asking, something that is unfortunately fairly rare on United
- After John got sick, the crew took very good care of him, checking on him often and bringing him hot water and extra blankets (he also had the chills)
- Food was enjoyable – pork chop for the main course was flavorful and mid-flight snack of grilled cheese sandwich and hot tomato soup always hits the spot
- Despite 8pm arrival time, breakfast served before landing
- Internet was stable, but slow ($29.99)
- Moving map did not work, but over 200 movies to choose from in on-demand IFE system
- Lavatory is spacious, well-designed
I think United’s new Polaris seat strikes the right balance between comfort and maximizing a cabin for upgrades. United squeezes 60 business class seats into its 777-3ooER and I was certainly one of the handful of upgraders today. Had this been a more generous 1-2-1 reverse herringbone configuration I likely would have wound up behind the curtain.
Stay tuned for a full review in the days ahead.